Thursday, April 10, 2008

4/10/08 Rick Rolling Along

Quote I never, ever thought I'd hear... A girl I've known for less than two weeks is sitting behind me, sees my beat up football jersey and say, "I LOVED Kordell Stewart". After probably a dozen years of torment for wearing my Kordell jersey, I somehow feel it was all worthwhile.

-----

There is probably some mathematical formula that describes how out of touch I'm becoming with mainstream anything as a function of time. It's sort of like a y=x^2 parabola (for values of x>0), with some sort of exponential growth of "out-of-touchedness" each year. But I was more in-touch during my teenage years, so that doesn't quite do it. But let's not get caught up in the nitty gritty details here. Let's just say that at the rate I'm going, my infinite "out-of-touch" boundary is hitting an asymptote of about 5 years from now. Which, if my memory of asymptotes serves correct, the out-of-touchedness can come out of nowhere (to the right of the asymptote) on the negative infinity side of "y" and eventually approach zero again. Whatever that function is, that best describes what I'm trying to get at.

That awkward introduction has to do with Rick Rolling. The Rick Rolling phenomenon gained media coverage "By May 2007". Doing the math, 11 months later, I'm appearing more senile than Larry King by talking about it now. On baseball message board, I read "Let's Rick Roll the Mets". The Mets had an online vote for their new 8th inning song. (Cuz I'm even more of a retard, I'm writing this after the voting ended.) The plan was to give a "write in" vote to Rick Astley's 1987 hit "Never Gonna Give You Up". Ok, that's sort of funny. But why "Rick Roll"? For the two of you who missed it the first time, Rick Rolling is sending someone to a YouTube clip of that exact song. It would be like me saying - Hey! Did you see the new trailer for Grand Theft Auto IV? The game looks absolutely amazing. Then you click the link and it's Rick Astley.



Why am I telling you this? I guess there's really no reason I tell you anything. This included. But, if you happen to OFFICIALLY work for a Division I school, you should Rick Roll your fans during a game.




-------

Last time I posted, I mentioned the song "Handlebars". I said that you'd hear it at least 3 times before tax day. So, on Tuesday I had a 10 minute car ride and decided to put my "guarantee" to the test. I turn on the radio. I immediately hear... The other random song I mentioned - "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" by Great White. I can honestly say I haven't heard that song 3 times in the past decade. It's even more horrible than I remembered. That night though, I heard "Handlebars" on the radio. So, for those of you keeping score at home.

Scoreboard:
Handlebars - 1
Once Bitten, Twice Shy - 1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A cat I know in my company's support group has taken Rolling to a whole new level. He access to remotely launch - in full-screen mode - the Rick Roll video on anyone's computer. We spent the better half of last week hijacking random people's computers and playing Rick. And don't feel bad - I had never heard of it until I was Rolled last week.