Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Bands That Name Songs After Themselves

Random thought. What's with bands that have hit songs that are named after the band? Shouldn't this be illegal? Shouldn't the RIAA quit going after kids who download music and spend their time and efforts more wisely on this? This has to be the gayest form of self promotion I can think of. Yes, I wrote "gayest". Since it is the only word that properly describes my feelings about this.

Like Bad Company singing "Bad Company".

Company Always on the run
Destiny is the rising sun
Oh I was born 6-gun in my hand
Behind a gun I'll make my final stand
That's why they call me
Bad company
And I can't deny
Bad company
Till the day I die
Till the day I die
Till the day I die

(Skip to the end here)

Yeah
We're Bad company
Kill in cold blood

"Kill in cold blood"? Yeah, you guys *are* bad.


Same goes for Rammstein singing "Rammstein".

Rammstein
Ein Mensch brennt
Rammstein
Fleischgeruch liegt in der Luft
Rammsteinein
Kind stirbt
Rammsteindie Sonne scheint

(I just felt like putting something in German in my blog). But the translation is pretty much along the lines of Bad Company. It's like "Rammstein. We're bad ass. Rammstein. Yeah that's right. Rammstein. Lick our sacks." (Alright, not exactly. But close enough).

Others I can think of off the top of my head:
  • Black Sabbath
  • Damn Yankees
  • Bo Diddley
  • The Monkees (singing "Hey hey we're the Monkees")

I'm now boycotting any band that does this.

Oh, look what I found. Good ol' wikipedia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should "Black Sabbath" count if the words never appear in the song's lyrics?

http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/black_sabbath/black_sabbath.html

http://www.nachosrule.com said...

Good point. I was having a hard time completely giving up on Ozzy. Now I have an excuse to listen to Crazy Train without feeling like a picket-line-crosser-over.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy both They Might Be Giants and their song "They Might Be Giants." I'm with you on those other guys though.