Wednesday, January 30, 2008

1/30/08 My Umbrella

Are you familiar with Technorati? It a site that constantly ranks blogs and news stories in the popularity. As of this morning, this blog was ranked right around the 3,100,000th most popular. Not exactly encouraging. Three hours later, I check again, and we've fallen to about 4,400,000. It's like being Mike Gravel. Only a little less crazy sounding. Here's where you come in. You can sign up and add this blog to your favorites. All you have to do is click here and add it. Who knows - maybe together we can crack the top 2 million blogs :) If you'll notice, so far, I'm my only fan.


-----


I had planned on going nuts on another song. You know, like I occasionally do with Nickelback or "Closing Time". This time I had planned on talking about the "Umbrella Song". I normally don't listen to radio stations that would play that kind of music, yet I continually seem to hear that song everywhere. It's one of those songs with retardedly stupid lyrics, yet, at the same time, gets stuck in your head. It's been in my head for 24 hours now.

It's basically "Now that it's raining more than ever / Know that we still have each other / You can stand under my Umbrella." Then it goes on forever about the "Umbrella Ella ella eh eh eh".

Since my original dislike for the song, I've been forced to pull a complete 180. I've been informed that it's Cousin Ella's favorite song. As you can imagine, the repeated "ella ella ella" is pleasing to a 16 month old. In fact, she thinks the song is about her. So, for Cousin Ella, I present, "The Umbrella Song".





-----




I did some math today. As many of you know, my current job is really far from my home. This fact has made me more gas conscious than usual. On average, I will drive 750 miles per week for work, requiring a fill up every 2 days. The math I should have done was - "Am I actually making enough money to justify the gas and tolls?" But I didn't. This math is far less critical.

Ever since I can remember, gas prices have been 10 cents apart per gallon based on the grade of unleaded. (You know, the (R+M)/2 method of octane). Way back when, you'd pay $.99 for regular unleaded, $1.09 for plus and $1.19 for premium. As gas prices have steadily increased over the past decade, that ten cent addition has remained pretty constant. Although, I am seeing it increase to 12 cents - Like $3.55, $3.67 and $3.79. So, the math is this - Back in the 99 cent per gallon days, you'd pay a 20% premium for the best grade gasoline. Today, given the 12 cent difference and the numbers above, you're paying less than a 7% premium for the best gasoline. Is that somehow a better deal? In my warped mind it almost seems like it is. Why isn't the increase proportional?


----

In news that only I might find interesting - Spirit Air is offering airfares based on Fibonnaci Numbers.

----

Obviously I'm in a mood to just babble. So, here's more. If you've ever driven from San Diego north towards LA on I-5, about 40 miles north of San Diego (and 60 miles from the Mexican border) you'll see the boobie shaped power plant from "The Naked Gun" off to your left. "Everywhere I go, something reminds me of her" - you know what I'm talking about. Maybe a mile or so before that power plant, there's an overpass for the northbound lanes only. You can see it here. Almost on a daily basis, "U.S. Officers" stop every car for some sort of quick check. They never say what for. Why in the world would they shut down a busy interstate on a daily basis like that?

-----

Under my umbrella ella ella eh eh eh.



(I have a thing for women that can sing and play guitar)

No comments: