Monday, March 03, 2008

3/3/08 Casimir Pulaski Day

Happy Casimir Pulaski Day! I hope you're celebrating in Polish aided Revolutionary War style.

------

Since Casimir Pulaski is synonymous with "Hey - We get the day off of school! But who the hell is Casimir Pulaski?" (Illinois only), here is some educational stuff to fill in the gap...

The sun may have a star companion named Nemesis. Nobody's ever seen it (which leaves me skeptical). But the theory goes as such - Every 26 million years or so, there's a mass extinction on earth. This includes the dinosaur extinction, generally blamed on a giant asteroid hitting the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. Nemesis swings close enough to our solar system every 26 million years, bringing with it large asteroids and debris, leading to those extraordinary impacts and subsequent extinctions.

Have you ever inhaled helium to make your voice change? Yeah, we all have. How about sulfur hexafluoride? It'll do the opposite. And, based on this video, I wouldn't recommend it.



------

If you enjoy chemistry videos, Wired Magazine has the top 10 Most Amazing Chemistry videos.

------

Last week we visited the Sarah Silverman video with Matt Damon. Jimmy Kimmel has responded. (Thanks to NLN Natalie for the link). Oh, and watch for some great celebrity cameos.



------

I'm at that age where many of my friends are having kids. I was in a situation recently where my friends put on some kids music for their little one while we were in their car. Poker Jason asked what I thought of the music. Well, for everyone with little kids, here's my recommendation....

No comments: