Thursday, April 14, 2005

4/14/05 The Genographic Project

In a landmark study of human migration over the millennia, The Genographic Project was started. You can participate by paying $100 and giving a DNA sample on a swab from your cheek. According to the study, all humans lived in Africa until 60,000 years ago. This was followed by a series of migrations (you'll have to check out the site to see what I mean) to where you are today. Although intrusive (with the DNA samples), it sounds pretty frickin' cool.

I asked my brother what the plural of millennium is and he informed me that "eon" does not refer to a specific timeframe. It's just an indefinitely long period of time. Like "ages". I had no idea. He also says that there's a minimum, since "eon" is also defined as "the longest division of geological time, containing two or more eras".

After 1 week of baseball, Sports Illustrated has their first Power Rankings. And yes, the major league leading, 6-2 White Sox are sitting pretty at number two. I love number two.

No comments: