Thursday, April 28, 2005

4/28/05 Trains

I showed up to work today, checked my email, and as usual, I had no work emails and nothing to do. Seriously, I have NOTHING to do. I can't even make anything up at this point. I'm on a team of 4. About 5 times a day my manager (who sits in an office about 5 feet from me) calls in the other members of the team, closes the door, and they discuss "the plan". Without me. I give it a week, max, before I'm off this project.

The reason I bring this up is that I decided to entertain myself today. As I was listening to Launchcast Radio, I noticed that I had back-to-back songs about trains. First I got "Locomotive Breath" by Jethro Tull, followed by "Crazy Train" by Ozzy. That got me to thinking - Songs about trains kinda rule. Over IM, my brother and I have started compiling a list of songs we could think of about trains. In addition to the two I've already mentioned, here's what we have so far:
  • "Night Train" - Guns N Roses
  • "Ghost Train" - My brother says it's on a Best of College Acapella CD. I've never heard it.
  • "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight and the Pips
  • "C'mon Ride the Train (Woo Woo!)" - Quad City DJ's (I'm not sure that's the real name of the song, but it was huge about 14 years ago)
  • "Charlie on the MTA" - Will Holt (You know, the man who never returned)
  • "Runaway Train" - Soul Asylum
  • "Long Train Running" - The Doobie Brothers
Soul Train also kinda rules. We wanted a Top Ten songs about Trains list, but we couldn't come up with 10. So we're up for suggestions....

An article entitled "The Angriest Man in the World" offers up some neat insight into the life of comedian Lewis Black.

Nuclear Fusion has been created in a lab. Other than being a pretty cool beginning for a pollution-free energy source, my Nuclear Engineering Professor was quoted in the article. Professor Ruzic led probably the most fun course I took in college. I honestly took his course 'just cuz it sounded fun'. We made moonshine on the quad and he blew something up in almost every class.

Vector Park kept me entertained at work yesterday. I really don't understand it, but it sure was a fun distraction.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Train songs:

Lostprophets - "Last Train Home" - quite catchy actually. 30 second clip.

Also, one of my favorite random DC bands is called Last Train Home. They have a song by the same name, but I'm partial to "Doughnut Girl" (full song), because really, how can you dislike a song that was inspired by Virginia's first Krispy Kreme shop?

Anonymous said...

Gladys Knight - Midnight Train to Georgia

Anonymous said...

yeah, I was definitely so excited I thought of it that I didn't actually re-read that it was in your original post. oops.

Anonymous said...

"Downtown Train" - Rod Stewart