Saturday, May 19, 2007

5/18/07 Wasting Time Times Two

Just about everyone I know watches one or two TV shows on a regular basis. I usually say that "Lost" and "24" are "my shows". However, if I'm going to go into full disclosure mode, I checked my DVR settings. And there are 20 shows that are set to record. The "B List" includes, 2 versions of "PTI" (in case some sporting event messes up one recording), The Simpsons, Family Guy (on 3 channels), "Scrubs", "The Office", The 2006 World Series of Poker, "Numb3rs", and, well, that's enough disclosure.

Which means I waste a lot of time watching TV. As do most people I know. This week, however, we have the series finales. Many of them are twice as long as the normal episodes. I already watched the hour long finale of "Scrubs" last night. And the extended episode of "The Office". But next week is worse - 2 hours of "24" and 2 hours of "Lost". I know all of you have another show to recommend - Like "Grey's Anatomy" or backlogged episodes of "The Larry Sanders Show" on DVD/YouTube. I just don't have the time anymore. I'm an addict and I need help. My couch cushions are already complaining and there's still a week to go.

Welcome to the resolution stage of the TV addict help line. For those of you whose first language was not English or are not familiar with any Romance Language, the word "finale" is a noun that means:

1. the last piece, division, or movement of a concert, opera, or composition.
2. the concluding part of any performance, course of proceedings, etc.; end.


Ta Da... There will be no more of those episodes until the fall. As an added bonus, the networks are giving us a summer full of just unrelenting crap. If you happened to watch the premiere of National Bingo Night tonight, do us all a favor and don't tell us. We don't want to know. And for your own sake, you don't want to reveal your identity. If I really had the time and inclination, I would do some sort of review on the most anticipated show of the summer - Pirate Master. Really? People still think that the Disney version of pirates is how it really happened? Dude. Seriously?

It's almost as if the networks are finally saying - "Listen. I know you sit on your ass a good portion of the day. But for God's sake, it's summer. Go outside. Live a little. Get a tan. We've done just fine for ourselves since September. Just go. Please. You need to give your brain a break from the rotting."

I, for one, can't wait for the cold turkey TV addiction breaking to begin.

------

Let's just say that I'm no longer interested in NBA basketball this season. The reason? If you had the choice between the four teams that are in the conference finals and the four teams that just lost, which would you choose? You're telling me that you wouldn't prefer games that would end 142-137 with Phoenix and Golden State? That's way more enjoyable to watch than the cheap shot Spurs and Mormon friendly Jazz in their battle of "Who can be lamer". And the east? Well, nobody really cares about the east. But the young Bulls would have been a lot more fun to watch than the Pistons. I'm Bulls biased. But it's still true. And Cleveland or New Jersey? Whatever. Nobody watched that series anyways.

------

Poker Jason sends an article about Pick Up Basketball and the people who play. He asked, Which one are you? If you play pick up basketball I'll let you decide for yourself who you are. And, in return, you'll get my answer. (Hint: I'm not the guy who's better than everybody).

-----

From the "I can't believe I still don't have a job" files - The National Weather Service announces that there's a 50% chance that temperatures will be above normal. And a 50% chance that temperatures will below normal. Thanks.

-----