Tuesday, May 22, 2007

5/22/07 Time is Going By Really, Really, Really, Really Slow

I've been interviewing a lot lately. Mostly over the phone. I try to keep this personal side of my life pretty private. But some of these interview stories are starting to become worth sharing. So, two real quick stories from today.

1) A guy was giving me a quick overview of his company - "We're a multi-billion dollar corporation. Around 1.2 to 1.3 billion to be exact." When he later asked me how long I've been out of work, I responded, "Just a few days. 162 to be exact."

2) Some guy calls out of the blue from a big company you've surely heard of. It rhymes with Rotorhola. "Hi. I got your resume from Dave Moon who got it from Chad Wong who got it from... (point being, I don't have a clue who these people are)." He then asks the overly important question about my phone area code. You've got to love people who can get right to the point.

We talk for, oh, 25 minutes about my experience and their two-way radio business. Eventually I start talking about how to proceed. To which he responds, "We don't have any openings right now." Uhh. What? "We might have some future business in your area." Thanks dude. Thanks.

And I wonder why I had to increase my cell phone minute plan last month.

-----

Charlotte Dan sends the headline of the day: "Royals To Get A Taste Of Angels' Colon".

-----

This just in: Bat found in Newport Beach tests positive for rabies.

-----

Poker Jason sends a double dose today. First an article about Mount Everest. Towards the bottom, it reads - "Other daredevils on the mountain include Wim "Iceman" Hof, a Dutchman attempting to scale the peak wearing just shorts, boots, gloves and a cap."

-----

Also courtesy of Poker Jason:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't we go to high school w/ Dave Moon?

http://www.nachosrule.com said...

Plural, yeah.

But, I can't remember if I made up that name in my head between the time I talked to the dude and the time I decided to tell the story.