Monday, February 11, 2008

2/11/08 Two Dozen Red Roses



I don't think I'll ever understand how flowers, jewelry and chocolate are appropriate ways to demonstrate your love for somebody. It's to the point where I'm not sure if I'm more bitter when I'm alone on Valentine's Day or when I'm not alone and end up buying stuff that is less from the heart and more from the (whatever organ signifies "obligation"). For argument's sake, let's call it the pancreas. That seems to be one of those obligatory organs that has to be around just cuz.

Remember the movie "Big"? There's a scene where some dude from the toy company presents his idea to the other people that work there and Tom Hanks keeps saying "I don't get it". He appears obnoxious, but the intent is innocent. Well, I guess that's what I'm trying to say here about Valentine's gifts (and I suppose women in general). "I don't get it".

If you really probe into "Big", you realize that the one woman who falls for Tom Hanks' innocent charms is pretty neurotic and unstable. So... uh... you see what I'm getting at here, right? "I don't get it". (Watch the movie again - the chick certainly carries more than her share of baggage. We're talking well over the 50 pound limit.)

Now that I've somewhat confessed and ranted and appear overly bitter... I still wish everyone a fun, loving Valentine's week. You know what they say, "If you can't be with the one you love...."





-----





The scene from "Big" is about 2 minutes in here:

No comments: