Sunday, July 17, 2005

7/17/05 Herodotus

I was reading Blender Magazine on the can today. They have an article about the history of drugs, mainly focusing on artists like The Beatles and Janis Joplin and all of the other famous drug users in the rock world. But I was a bit surprised to read about Greek historian, Herodotus, writing about the use of hemp in ancient times to "induce insensibility".

I was also reminded of one of my favorite stories of all time - Doc Ellis' no hitter in 1970 for the Pittsburgh Pirates. From the article - "I was in Los Angeles, and the team was playing in San Diego , but I didn't know it. I had taken LSD..... I thought it was an off-day, that's how come I had it in me. I took the LSD at noon. At 1pm, his girlfriend and trip partner looked at the paper and said, "Dock, you're pitching today!" I remember once reading that the ball told him what pitches to throw.

Keeping with the psychedelic theme, here are some trippy visual effects.

Forgotten pictures of popular people.

Does Intelligence = Happiness?

No comments: