Thursday, June 16, 2005

6/16/05 Earthquake

I just experienced my first California earthquake. It was only a 5.3 and lasted all of 5 or 10 seconds. But the scary part is that you're not really sure how big it's going to get until it's over. For those of you who don't live out here, only two days ago the NBA finals were interrupted by a tsunami warning. Twice. Last week there was another earthquake around Palm Springs, which I missed. And a 7.9er hit Chile on the same fault line last week. Hmm...

Allow me to walk through the 5 to 10 second thought process as it's happening. At first you think you have a little gas. A half second later, you realize that it's not just you that's moving. So maybe it's a big ol' truck outside making a delivery. I then peered over at my water bottle. It was like the famous scene in Jurassic Park where concentric circles moved toward the edges of the bottle. My chair began vibrating, but, unlike the sweet, sweet $3500 chair at Brookstone, mine wasn't designed for a massage. At this point, you can feel the earthquake getting bigger, and for a brief second, you wonder how big it's going to get and start thinking about what they taught you in school. Then I remembered that I went to school in the Chicago area and I only know how to survive a tornado or a fire. As it was ending, I stood up like a moron and looked out the window of my office. I found it funny that a plane was trying to land right then. I wonder if that's hard to do. Maybe the earthquake counteracts the typical landing jitters and smooths everything out.

Mike Tyson likes biting nipples.

You may remember the "Goonie Vacation" post from a while back where two guys took a road trip to relive the Goonies. Well, ever since I've lived in California, I've had an itch to visit San Dimas and do a little Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Turns out, I'm not the only one. Poker Jason told me yesterday that San Dimas actually has a waterpark. And these guys who made the trip confirmed that it is actually "Waterloo" from the movie.

A big thanks to the one person who responded to my "Win A Date" contest. Cousin Lisa, I like hanging out with you and all... But in addition to the fact that you already have a man, we're cousins. Hate to break it to ya, but it's not gonna work out between us :) I'm just messing with you, Lisa - It's really good to hear from you.

As promised, no super nerdy or intellectual links today.

No comments: