Thursday, July 27, 2006

7/27/06 How to Solve the Rubik's Cube


I should've known then that I was going to be bored with routine office work. I spent my first semester sophomore year of college taking an introductory accounting course in an auditorium that held 1500 or so people. The reputation was that it was a "weed out" course, where far too many people failed and it would "weed out" crappy aspiring business students. It was very unlike me to attend large lectures often (the trend culminated when I attended my first finance lecture the following year about 7 weeks into the semester and my friends all stood up to give a standing ovation), but I couldn't quite grasp accounting principles. Well, it was more like, I didn't attend a bunch of lectures early, then I fell behind and never quite caught up. So, I started going to class more often. But the lectures I did attend, I brought a Rubik's Cube with me, and spend the entire hour learning how to solve it. After a semester, I learned how to solve the Rubik's Cube. In my heyday, I could actually solve it in under 2 minutes. (I know, some dude did it blindfolded in like 13 seconds, but I'm still sort of proud in a dorky way).

In a way, I'm far happier that I learned to solve the Rubik's Cube than I am disappointed that I got a C in accounting. (You can obviously infer an inverse relationship between my grade and the cube solving.) Which, if you remember from my story about my computer science intro course, was my 2nd C in as many years (I had never gotten a C before in my life and it wasn't exactly the way I had planned to start my college career - if you can call it a "career"). Anyways, fast forward to today. I have NO recollection of how to solve the Rubik's Cube. I can probably solve the top half with a little practice. But the top half is 100 times easier than the bottom half. So, my challenge to everyone... Is, with some help, learn to solve the Rubik's Cube. (I also have a 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube at home, which has never returned to its original configuration. And probably never will.)

---------

Someone posted a long comment about Net Neutrality and it's only fair that I point it out.

---------

I'm posting this World War III. Or IV. Clip so I can watch it at home. (Mike sent it to my work account and I can't watch the video here. So instead of emailing to myself, I'm putting it out for everyone to see. Because I trust Mike. And because I'm that lazy.)

---------

My softball team's 2 game winning streak is on the line tonight. (We won the 2 games both by forfeit and tonight's opponent has promised to show up.)

No comments: