Friday, April 20, 2007

4/19/07 150 Stories

Just last night I began thinking about the technological marvels of the past 100 years or so. Actually, I should word that differently... I didn't "begin" thinking about it last night. But it was on my mind. Then the thought process took off on some tangent - Without boring you, I'll try and give you a brief synopsis. The thought process was as such - Many of the world's tallest buildings, specifically the ones here in the U.S., were built between 40 and 80 years ago. (For those keeping track at home, the Chrysler Building and Empire State Building were built in 1930 and 1931. The World Trade Center and Sears Tower were built in 1972 and 1974.)

Then I started thinking, why? Why did we, as a country, stop large skyscraper construction? And does large construction really have any value? Is it purely based upon ego? Or have we moved from a society based on doing what feels right to one that is purely based on dollars and cents. Why was the I Luv You not listed in Ludwig's records? And if it was, did he know about it? And if he didn't, who did? And where the hell was I?

Then today, I read that Chicago has approved the construction of a 150 story building. And all I could think was - That's awesome.

------

The plan was to put a video of Mark Buehrle's no hitter here. But, in their infinite wisdom, Major League Baseball continued to remove those videos off of the internet throughout the day. You know, because they'd somehow lose revenue and interest if people watched highlights of their sport and one of the greatest feats in said sport. I shouldn't be pissed. But it's just ridiculous - At the very least it might spread extra interest in baseball to people who might not otherwise watch it.

That being said, congratulations to Mark Buehrle and the first White Sox no hitter in 16 years. And since I can't find a video of that feat, I leave you with this instead... Good old fashioned cartoon racism.


No comments: