Sunday, April 22, 2007

4/22/07 Nacho Noshers

Nachos are in the news again. (This time I'm not involved, nor is the poor quality and upkeep of my website mentioned). But this article is way cooler than the other one. It has to do with a high school fight over nachos and a girl who wants to eat nachos at every place in Boston that serves them. And, even though the fight puts a dent in my vision for nachos and world peace, the article ends - "Actually, I'm surprised more fights don't break out over nachos."

--------

I guess this was just a sports weekend for me. It's not often that I watch this much sports on TV. But I'm currently watching the Yankees vs. Red Sox on ESPN - Mostly since I was interested in seeing Daisuke Matsuzaka pitch. The first thing I noticed is that he has a really goofy windup. He takes the normal step backwards, then he stops and wiggles his butt, then he slowly continues the windup. It almost seemed illegal. So I looked up the rules. Rule 8.01(a) states:

Rule 8.01(a) Comment: In the Windup Position, a pitcher is permitted to have his “free” foot on the rubber, in front of the rubber, behind the rubber or off the side of the rubber. From the Windup Position, the pitcher may: (1) deliver the ball to the batter, or (2) step and throw to a base in an attempt to pick-off a runner, or (3) disengage the rubber (if he does he must drop his hand to his sides). In disengaging the rubber the pitcher must step off with his pivot foot and not his free foot first. He may not go into a set or stretch position—if he does it is a balk.

So there's no rule against the butt wiggle. For those not familiar with Daisuke, he's known by the pronunciation of "Dice-K". And since "K" is the symbol for strikeout, it's a little extra cool. People in the stands have posters showing one side of a die and a K, supporting their new pitcher. Which is cool, too. Except that their signs are reading as "Dyke". Sure, it's one of those dick-ish things to notice. But still. If you're going to 1) buy tickets to a game 2) set aside your evening for the game and 3) spend the time to make a poster for the game... the least you can do is put 2 dice in front of the "K". That's all I'm saying. (I realize that they may be using those posters to count total strikeouts.... But, for example, after the 3rd strikeout, use the 2 and 1 dice instead of the 3 die.)

--------


No comments: