Monday, September 24, 2007

9/24/07 "The hardest work in the world is being out of work." ~Whitney Young, Jr.

As many of you know, I'm applying for jobs at some sort of break-neck rate these days. Last Friday I made some phone calls to recruiters I have worked with in the past. (As usual, I'll protect people and companies, making everything seem a little generic). I talked to one recruiter... Let's just say her name is Sandra. I met Sandra once in person. She seemed impressed enough with me. She's also been very courteous and friendly whenever we've talked. But this time around over the phone, she passed me along to one of her coworkers who was working with a client that may be up my alley.

Her coworker "Tanya" said she'd send me an email asking for my current resume. I told her that I could respond on Monday and that we'd talk then. It's important to note that this conversation wasn't Friday morning. This was late Friday afternoon, pushing 5:00 pm. Fast forward to today (Monday). I send out my email with the resume attached. I got the following (it's heavily edited for the protection reasons we talked about already)....

"Tanya Smith is no longer with CompanyABC. If you are a candidate, please contact Hillary Dawkins at HillaryDawkins@CompanyABC.xyz and she will ensure you get some some assistance with your job search."

There's NO way she didn't know she wouldn't be working there on Monday. I can't imagine she got laid off between our conversation on Friday 5:00pm and the time she left for the weekend. And somehow managed to set her "out of office" reply. She knew. Oh yes. She knew.

------

A few months ago, I added BlogCounter to this site. Don't worry - you're not getting tracked or anything. It just gives information on the number of hits on each page. (If you're really curious, go to the bottom of this page. The total counter is there.) My favorite part is finding out which search phrases lead people to NachosRule.blogspot.com. Because it's never what I expect. Actually, I never expected that anyone but the 15 regular readers ever came here. I had no idea I could become the "authority" on anything. The most popular searches that lead people here?


  • Brett Favre Wrangler Commercial

  • Dunning-Kruger Effect

  • 5 hat problem

  • Ben Jabituya (although I think my prominence in Google searches for this one has fallen off the map recently).

And finally, my favorite search item from today is...


"That's no way for a man to die...A parachute not opening... that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine... having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go." Check for yourself.


If you find this half as fun as I do, I'll be sure to have some sort of "Search Phrase of the Week" section or something.


------


Sorry about the quality, but this is the only copy I could find of that Brett Favre Wrangler commercial. (The one I made fun of a month ago.) And for those of you who are looking for the song, it's called "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" by Bachman Turner Overdrive.








------

Feeling down today? Here's a compliment for you.

------





If you start typing in "Rex Grossman" into the Google toolbar search, the most common results, in order are:
  • Rex Grossman
  • Rex Grossman stats
  • Rex Grossman sucks
  • Rex Grossman's wife
  • Rex Grossman jewish

There's nothing like Google searches to give you an idea of what the general public is thinking.

No comments: