Sunday, September 25, 2005

9/25/05 Office Slang

Office Slang.
  • CGI Joe - A hard-core CGI script programmer with all the social skills and charisma of a plastic action figure.
  • Salmon Day - The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed in the end. “God, today was a total salmon day!”
  • Umfriend - One with whom one has a sexual relationship; as in, “this is Dale, my...um...friend.”

Magic number is 5.

I spent nearly my entire day with 3 guys who play WAY more poker than I do. Two of them play for a living. The question arose from one to the other - "Do you think you've seen every combination of flops possible?" Which leads me to the unanswered questions for the night. For any statistics or math nerds out there, we're dying to know the answers to....

1) How many possible flops (3 card combinations are there from one deck of cards) are there?
My initial answer would be 52*51*50. Or 132,600. Assuming that each suit is important. Poker Jason says we need to divide that number by 6 due to ordering. But we could be way off. Ideas?

2) Given the total number of possible flops (answer to the above question) - How many random flops would you need to see in order to see them all, given a 95% confidence factor. I think the answer is HUGE. Again - ideas???

No comments: