Sunday, March 19, 2006

3/19/06 Hemp

We've all seen those hippies who wear their hemp clothes and hemp necklaces. And, if you're like me, you might just assume that they're using some weak campaign to promote the hemp plant and support their pot smoking. Well, a friend, who shall remain nameless unless he/she decides to comment, said that I needed to use my free time to research the topic.

The theory is that hemp was banned by a strong coalition of cotton producers at some point in the shady history of our country. I'm looking for more information on the topic. Let me know if you have any. According to this article:
  • On an annual basis, 1 acre of hemp will produce as much fiber as 2 to 3 acres of cotton. Hemp fiber is stronger and softer than cotton, lasts twice as long as cotton, and will not mildew. Many textile products (shirts, jackets, pants, backpacks, etc.) made from 100% hemp are now available.
  • On an annual basis, 1 acre of hemp will produce as much paper as 2 to 4 acres of trees. From tissue paper to cardboard, all types of paper products can be produced from hemp. Global demand for paper will double within 25 years. Unless tree-free sources of paper are developed, there is no way to meet future demand without causing massive deforestation and environmental damage. Hemp is the world's most promising source of tree-free paper.
  • From 1776 to 1937, hemp was a major American crop and textiles made from hemp were common. Yet, The American Textile Museum, The Smithsonian Institute, and most American history books contain no mention of hemp. The government's War on Marijuana Smokers has created an atmosphere of self censorship--speaking of hemp in a positive manner is considered taboo.
On a completely unrelated topic. What's the over/under for the number of Cuban players to defect while they're playing in the WBC tonight? I have to admit, that I'm a big fan of underdogs. Which means, I'm psyched that neither the US or Dominican made the finals. Actually, after seeing Korea play, I thought they deserved to go. It's great to see some different styles of play. Plus, this game means so much more to Japan and Cuba than it means to us. I'll be watching it tonight.

A commercial for Kraft Macaroni & Cheese just came on. It was a mom in the kitchen with her super excited son. I couldn't help but notice how the mom and son didn't look related. The mom was, at best, Lisa Bonet black. Maybe one of her grandparents was black. Very fair complexion for the politically correct out there. Her son, on the other hand, was Patrick Ewing black. I mean, this kid closes his eyes at night and disappears. Sure, maybe there's something wrong with me. You have to wonder what demographic is watching the same show you are, when the commercials are geared towards moms and kids. But still, you're telling me that I'm the only one who noticed how different to mom and kid looked? There's NO way they're remotely related. That's it. I'm never buying Kraft Mac & Cheese again.

No comments: