Saturday, May 13, 2006

5/13/06 So, You Had a Bad Day

It's been a while since I've given a back-handed compliment to a new, popular song. I was going to write about "Bad Day" a while ago, but then I saw Daniel Powter on VH1 and he seemed like a really nice guy. So it's hard for me to poo-poo his passion. But still, c'mon everyone. What do you see in this guy? It's been a while since we've had a deep, meaningful, whiny song in the mainstream. This reminds me a lot of the beautiful insight of Semisonic's "Closing Time" of nearly a decade ago....

Closing time - time for you to go out, go out into the world.
Closing time - turn the lights up over every boy and every girl.
Closing time - one last call for alcohol, so finish your whiskey or beer.
Closing time - you don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

Absolutely brilliant, boys.

Check out the Billboard top 200. Actually, just check out the top, uh, one. (Notice that it's not Semisonic).

Dumb question of the day... When did killer whales stop being called killer whales? I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Orca thing.

No comments: