Thursday, February 09, 2006

2/9/06 I Told Those Fudge Packers That I Liked Michael Bolton's Music

'Tis a sad day indeed. The pioneer of the tortilla chip has died.

I suppose it's only appropriate that I, too, have some sad news. I've definitely been a bit anecdotal lately, but this deserves a story. The company I've been working at has gone through a merger/acquisition recently, so people are very worried about their jobs. We had a meeting this morning with the team of about 15 people, with the head director. He wanted to talk to us candidly about the rumors and the future of the team. The idea was that some of the projects have been cancelled, but there are some new projects. And he said that the team would remain intact, at least for the near future. He then said, with maybe the exception of one or two people. Then he said everyone would be fine. Then, he was back to, "well, maybe one or two people will be affected." Which one is it?

About half an hour after the meeting one of the managers asked if he could talk to me. He asked me what projects I've been charging to and working on. This was a perfect opportunity to go into me, "I have eight bosses, Bob. EIGHT." routine. I was halfway into my second sentence explaining that I'm spread across 7 projects when he just says, "I'm going to have to let you go". Umm. Ok. So I got laid off. I offered to pack up my things so he wouldn't be charged more than the few hours I had already worked today. He said to just finish out the week and that my last day is tomorrow. So, it's a weird kind of layoff. I still have to work for another day and a half.

Fast forward another hour. I get an email sent from that manager to a couple of people I work with. It tells them of my termination and suggests any transition they need, they come to me before I leave on 2/15. I may not be the curviest spoon in the drawer, but 2/15 is next Wednesday. I find out now that I'm being laid off in a week. Umm. Ok.

I grab lunch and make a couple of phone calls. I come back and the director guy now asks me if I've talked to the manager. I say yes and I very professionally offer to transition any knowledge in the next few days. He then says, "Give me a couple of weeks. I hear good things about you. But still transition everything by next Wednesday." Basically, he's saying that I'm possibly only temporarily laid off. Umm. Ok.

So to recap. Meeting - Everyone on the team should be fine. Meet with manager - you're let go. Email from manager - you're here until next week. Talk with director - Let me see if I can get you back. Maybe. Yup, that was my day. I'm still out of work as far as I know. But not until next Wednesday. Unless I hear otherwise. I rule.

I had no idea that you liked riding your moped (Sorry, I'm being retarded due to the whole job thing).

No comments: