Monday, June 05, 2006

6/5/06 Earth from Mars

If you're like me (you should probably thank the good Lord that you're not), you woke up this morning wondering what Earth looks like from Mars.

Why are so many people today single? "In 1970, only 7.8 percent of Americans aged 30 to 34 had never married, and 65.4 percent of all men were hitched, as were 59.7 percent of all women. By 2003, the number of never-marrieds aged 30 to 34 had exploded to 27.9 percent. The number of all men who were married had dropped to 55.4 percent, and barely half of all women were wed."
----------------

Mike sends some wonderful news. Thom Yorke of Radiohead is releasing an album called "The Eraser".

----------------

There's a little game I've started to play while driving to and from work. It can be aptly titled "Who's talking?". I started playing this game for 2 reasons.

Reason #1: I get really bored driving 30 miles every morning and evening, so my mind wanders. A lot. (I had an inspirational, business "light bulb going off in my head" idea the other day. But that's another story for another day).

Reason #2: I started to notice a trend. It's a real simple trend. Some car is not following the unwritten highway rule of "stay approximately 5 car lengths from the car in front of you". This car is usually in the lane 2nd from the left and it 30 car lengths from the next car. And the distance is increasing. In my attempt to pass the jackass, I tend to look to see what the problem is. Almost invariably, the person is talking on the phone.

So I put this little theory to a test. And I picked out 20 cars last week that I thought fit the profile. I'm batting .950. I pegged 19 of the 20 drivers. The one I got wrong was just old. Try it yourself. See how you do. Oh, and if you're using the phone while you're driving. Keep up with traffic. Don't be the jackass.

No comments: