Thursday, April 20, 2006

4/20/06 I Have No Idea What's Going On

Let me recount my first day at work today...

I was told to show up at "8:00 or 9:00". So I decide to make a decent impression the first day and sign in around 8:10 am. I check in at the front desk a few minutes later and the receptionist calls the two individuals I'm supposed to report to. Neither one is available. So I end up waiting for about a half hour.

After making small talk with the receptionist, the one dude comes to get me. He walks me to his office, and quickly tries to fill me in on the project. No more than 7 minutes later, he gets a phone call, letting him know that he's late for a meeting. Two minutes later, he calls his admin an the admin walks me to my desk. It's now about 9:00 am.

I get to my desk and there's no computer. And a phone, the likes I haven't seen since about 1988. It's the pre-cordless heavy, square-ish phone with the numbers in front and the receiver hung up horizontally across the top. For some reason I associate it with smashing "the bad guy" in the face with it since it's so heavy. I must have seen that in a movie.

I spent the next three hours just sitting there. Fortunately, I had my "bathroom book" with me. I had inteded to slowly finish the second half of "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" over the next few weeks in the bathroom. (By the way, it's a great book. Thanks to Mike for making the recommendation probably 6 months ago). I was done reading it by 2:00 pm. Nobody ever came to get me a computer. Or a badge for the building. Or to give me any papers to read. Or to invite me out to lunch. Or to show me around the building. I just sat there. All day. By myself. No part of this story has been embellished. That was my day. And this is why I hate working in offices.

Poker Jason is offering up his investment tip of the day.

Cousin Jeff sends an audio clip about poker. The vast majority of people I talk to about poker don't share my enthusiasm. And they'll most likely relate to the clip.

I haven't started this yet, so I can't vouch for the "Fun-ness factor". But here's a Da Vinci Code game just in time for the movie.

No comments: