Saturday, October 07, 2006

10/7/06 Slang

Dude! Remember the 90's? Remember the fly slang? Mad props. While we're at it - 80's slang, 70's slang and 20's slang.

Even though the White Sox puttered out of contention, I've found 3 reasons to watch the MLB playoffs this year.

1) I'm still pulling for my childhood hero, Frank Thomas. Deep down, ever since the playoffs started, I've been hoping that he'll have a great run and lead the A's to a World Series victory. (I've always said that he's a first ballot hall of famer. But not until his resurgence this year have the rest of the media. So I'm thrilled that he'll very likely get into the hall.)

2) Watching the Yankees lose. Nothing is more disgusting than a winning Yankees team. Everything about the Yankees makes me ill. The tradition, the history, the $200 million annual payroll. Oh, and the fans at Yankee Stadium. Congratulations to the Tigers for wiping the Yankees off the map for the 6th time in 6 years.

3) Last year, Poker Jason quietly joined me in my excitement during the White Sox run to the championship. This year, Poker Jason's Mets are making a very similar run. So, on his behalf, it's great to see his team doing what they're doing.

Also of note.... the ALCS and NLCS look like they could be a throwback to the mid to late 80's. Oakland vs. Detroit and Mets vs. Cardinals (maybe). They were all huge teams between 1985 and 1988.

No comments: