Monday, June 11, 2007

6/11/07 She's So Heavy

I don't have HBO. I haven't had a movie channel for probably 6 years now. Which is silly, since, out of all of the crap I spend money on, I could probably afford the extra 50 cents a day for HBO. But I still don't do it. That being said, I still saw the final scene of "The Sopranos". It was unavoidable.

All week I kept getting asked if I watch "The Sopranos". I used to. Six years ago. Back in the day when I never thought I might end up looking like Tony Soprano. (I swear I'm probably still 15 years away, but I'm getting there). But I had to sheepishly answer "no" and kill the conversation right then and there.

I call my mom on Sunday evening and she politely answers, "Hi, how are you?" "I'm fine, how are you?" (I tend to elongate "fine" and "you" since I'm a dick and can't seem to even pretend to enjoy the pleasantries of a normal human conversation). She tells me, "The Sopranos is just starting. Can I call you back right after it's done?". And she did.

I feel like I completely missed out on this phenomenon. Even The Sports Guy's Chat revolved around "The Sopranos". You know how I said I saw the final scene already? What I didn't tell you is that I saw it on ESPN. Twice. One of the emailers to The Sport Guy's Chat put it best - "...it's funny people watched 6 seasons of the show and didn't realize it was over their head until the finale?"

This entire talk about "The Sopranos" is leading to the greatest analogy I've heard in some time. I was talking to Cousin Barry. And, of course, he asked if I had seen the final episode. He asked me if I was familiar with The Beatles' "Abbey Road". I told him that, despite being nearly a decade older than I am, it was one of my favorite albums of all time. He said the ending to "The Sopranos" was just like "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". I thought for a second. And he's right on. Obscure analogies make me smile.






(This isn't quite the song off of Abbey Road I'm looking for. But this stretch on the "B" side is absolutely magical).




------

And now for something fun. Here's a video optical illusion. Trust me, it's not one of those scary Exorcist videos that screams at you. I don't like those. And I won't ever do anything like that to you. Stare at the dot.


No comments: