Friday, October 14, 2005

10/14/05 Doug Eddings

Doug Eddings is the guy you never knew existed three days ago. Now, he's become the center of the baseball universe. Beyond the fact that he made a bad call and continues to defend it, I'd like to see something else. I'd like to see the term "Eddings" incorporated into the American vocabulary. In exactly the way "Munson" was used in Kingpin (which by the way, rates in my top 10 comedies of all time and is extremely underrated). If you don't know what I'm talking about, go rent the movie - it's the best $4 you'll ever spend.

I'm coming up short with good examples, and perhaps you can help me. The idea goes something like this:

Definition:
Eddings (verb) - To make a mistake and then make the situation worse by not admitting your mistake.

- Female passenger: "Admit it, we're lost! We've been driving around for 3 hours looking for this place! I think you took a wrong turn off of the interstate."
- Male Driver: "We're not lost, woman! I don't make wrong turns!"
- Female: "Why can't you just admit you made a mistake! You've just Eddings-ed our entire trip!"

Or how about this?

Definition:
Eddings (noun) - Someone who can't admit he's made a mistake, therefore making the situation worse.

- Your Boss: "We're going to just keep working night and day until we deliver. No meetings, no eating, no sleeping, no planning. Just working."
- You (after he walks away, of course): "Whatever, Eddings. How about spending $200 to buy a clue?"

Speaking of, I haven't seen Wheel of Fortune in years. How much does it cost nowadays to buy a vowel?

As you can see, I think there's some potential here. Hopefully we can incorporate "Eddings" in the American vocabulary and, perhaps someday, it will be an entry in Webster's Dictionary.

On a personal note, my dad is flying to meet me in Southern California tonight and we're going to the games on Saturday and Sunday. And on a more personal note, Doug Eddings, if you're reading this, I'd personally like to buy you a drink while you're in town. Thanks, man. Go White Sox!

No comments: