Sunday, October 09, 2005

10/9/05 Man Made Diamonds

It's relatively rare that I go on a rant. And I know it's usually pretty obnoxious. But when I write about these things, it's because of believe deeply in what I'm saying. Today's topic/rant has to do with diamonds. I found an article that says man made diamonds are available and are indistinguishable from real diamonds. And I couldn't be happier. The process by which diamonds are mined and distributed is sickening. Check out Ten reasons you should never accept a diamond ring. "More than one-half of the world's diamonds are processed in India where many of the cutters and polishers are bonded child laborers." "The diamond engagement ring is a 63-year-old invention of N.W.Ayer advertising agency. The De Beers diamond cartel contracted N.W.Ayer to create a demand for what are, essentially, useless hunks of rock." I would be thrilled to see the diamond market completely crash, leaving the rock virtually valueless.

On a more upbeat note, Dennis Rodman just moved into my apartment complex temporarily. I'll let you know if I ever get to drain a 3 over him in basketball.

I heard a reference to Edward G. Robinson three times in one day. Once in a Richard Jeni comedy skit. Once in a Billy Crystal comedy skit. And I think once during a poker match on TV. It was kind of creepy to hear a guy's name 3 times in one day - especially since I had no idea who they were referring to.

Dave Chappelle has a skit on What if life was like the Internet.

The ultimate grudge match. MIT vs. Mythbusters. Mythbusters says that Archimedes Mirror is a busted myth (I have a post a while back on this). MIT says otherwise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't we see Richard Jeni on a cruise once?

http://www.nachosrule.com said...

We most definitely did see Richard Jeni on a cruise. And if I knew where I put the picture I took with him, I'd post it... Alas, I think it's stored 2,100 miles away.