Thursday, February 08, 2007

2/8/07 Happy Anniversary To...

Happy 5th Anniversary to "Something I learned Today". Honestly, I can't think of one other thing that I've stuck with for 5 years of my life (job, girlfriend, apartment, school). This whole mess started on February 8th, 2002. (Which seems like ages ago - I distinctly remember being in my apartment with Mike in Chicago at the time). During those five years, this page alone has been visited tens of thousands of times (I haven't quite kept track, but it's somewhere around 50,000 visits). Part of me wants to count how many words have been written during those 5 years. Then again, part of me doesn't. So, for those of you who have been part of this for quite some time (and those that haven't), feel free to take a trip down memory lane:

Facts from 2006

Facts from 2005

Facts from 2004

Facts from 2003

Facts from 2002

Now that I've patted myself on the back, this is also time for a little announcement. I won't be continuing to post something everyday. The idea of this page began as a way to prove the saying "You learn something new everyday". And while I still believe it to be true, the focus of this page has changed to something vastly different. People didn't seem to be as interested in what I learned. They tend to enjoy good websites and some have fun with the more anecdotal stuff. And that's what it has become.

But the real reason I won't be posting everyday anymore is that I keep finding myself ready to fall asleep and then realizing that I haven't "done my job". This isn't supposed to be a job.

In the meantime, please keep IMing and emailing me links and sites. I'll do my best to keep track and give you credit. Like I said, this site isn't shutting down. It's just slowing down. For now.


Finally, thank you for reading this and sending links and commenting and being a part of "Something I Learned Today". In a way, it has allowed me to keep in touch with certain friends and family members that I otherwise don't talk to so often. On a personal note, it has also given me an opportunity to try and learn how to write. Writing has never been a strength of mine (as I struggled terribly in my language classes from the time I was very young all the way through college). While I still strive for a whole lot more improvement, writing here everyday has allowed for quite a bit of practice and, at the very least, a little bit more confidence that I can communicate effectively.


-------

This announcement was extra hard since I got a couple of good links sent to me today.

Cousin Eric sends the continuing craze of the Thriller Dance.


Guadalajara Patty proves that the latest obsession with global warming has truly turned global.
(I watched "An Inconvenient Truth" 2 nights ago and am ready to talk to those of you who
recommended the movie to me.)


And finally... TrimSpa, Baby. (Too much?)

No comments: