Monday, January 24, 2005

1/24/05 Why women can't read maps

Did you see that some big cheese at Harvard is in trouble for suggesting that men and women think differently and that men are naturally programmed to excel at math and science? Well, at risk of getting myself in the same kind of hot water, the University of New Mexico explains why women have trouble reading maps. It's actually an interesting finding if you can get past the un-PC-ness of the statement.

Here's some weird game where you just throw a guy as far as you can. It's appropriately named, Chuck.

For my public service announcement of the week, here's an explanation of the hydrogenation process. In a lot of foods you may see "partially hydrogenated" something. According to this explanation, "Hydrogenated fats are oils that have been processed through a chemical hardening method to achieve increased plasticity (stiffness) of the liquid oils at room temperature. Partial hydrogenation (brush hydrogenation) hardens oils but does not make them fully solid." Basically, your body cannot properly use the energy of hydrogenated fats (also known as Trans-Fasts). And even worse, you body has difficulty getting rid of them too. So it just sticks somewhere in your body, making you fatter and more unhealthy. So, do your best to stay away from trans fats.

Remember the game Simon? I once remember watching my brother and some of my cousins in our basement, writing down the colors on a piece of paper. They must have gone for 75 hits or so. Here's online Simon. But it's harder than the one you're used to. If you think you're real good, try Nightmare Mode.

In response to the comment yesterday about the book, it's called How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Everyday. I brushed my teeth with my left hand today. I also used my left hand to soap up today in the shower (sorry for the mental image). I don't feel any smarter yet, but it's still only day one.

No comments: