Tuesday, September 19, 2006

9/19/06 Yar, Mateys!

In an annual tradition, I'm reminding you that it's Talk Like a Pirate Day.

In related news, the Pirate Party did not receive quite enough votes in the Swedish election to get a seat in Parliament.

An anonymous friend (Whose literary opinion I highly respect) recently told me - "If you can ignore the bombings, the Unabomber's Manifesto is actually a good read." I'm only about a third of the way through, so I'll reserve judgment until a later time.

I saw a great poker hand tonight. The short stack goes all in for 650 with blinds of 100/200. I was the small blind and thought about calling with A4 off and a decent size stack. I opted to fold, figuring I was a huge dog (either against a better ace or or pair bigger than 4s.) The big blind calls. The bettor has AA. The bb has KK. (In a small tournament, you're usually always rooting for the "all in" guy to lose.) Flop comes K 5 5. Sweet - The all in guy is drawing to THE last ace in the deck (I folded the other one). Turn is a 5. One card to come. River is a 5. The "all in" guy wins with four 5s and an ace (beating four 5s and a king).

No comments: