Wednesday, January 10, 2007

1/10/07 Are You Lonesome Tonight?

Ladies - you know when your man doesn't quite understand you? And he's just not doing the right things at the right times? Finally, you have your answer - somebody who does understand you.

------

I keep hearing the song "Remember the Name" on TV - It comes on whenever they're advertising some DVD release (I can't remember which DVD right now). Maybe it's because I have a mathematical mind, but I start listening to the lyrics every time it comes on:

This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name

If I were to be quite honest, all I can think is: Isn't just a little too specific? Like, whoever thought of "concentrated power of will". And why is that piece 15%? It kind of makes me think that the singer used to be a real estate agent and was just used to making up percentages off the top of his head. Could you imagine him at his previous job?

This house is ten percent down
Twenty percent investment
Fifteen percent you can deduct off your taxes
Five percent APR
Fifty percent savings
And a hundred percent reason to buy it right now

Your average American couple would look at each other and say, "Well, you can't argue with that, honey. It does add up." "Ten and five, carry the one, yeah, an even one hundred percent. I guess it does add up. Where do we sign?"

No comments: