Tuesday, August 29, 2006

8/29/06 Good Luck

Ninety nine percent of what happens to us during the day is routine and we don't think twice about it. It is those rare one percenters that grab my attention and tend to be the topics I like to write about. Which leads me to today's topic - I have a problem and I need your help. In recent face to face conversations, parting words haven't been what I have expected. My expectation when I leave a conversation is a short list of phrases that you don't even really think about - they're like reflexes.

"See you later"
"Have a good day"
"Take care"
"Thanks, man" (I say this at work sometimes, utilizing the word "man", as the consummate professional I am).
"Take it easy"
"Bye"

You know the routine. It's to the point where conversation is so ingrained in our routine that you often hear: "What's up?" "Good, and you?" And nobody really cares that the answer had nothing to do with the question.

Ok - onto the problem... Only recently have I noticed people saying "Good luck" as their final parting words. For example I ran into my buddy's dad this morning outside of the market. Our conversation went something like this:

Dave - "Hey, Mark"
Me - "Hey Dave. You're looking sharp." (He was wearing a tie)
Dave - "Thanks. I need to look good for the women's shoe section. Are you off to work?"
Me - "Yup." (Awkward feeling where I don't know if he's expecting more conversation... Eh, I'm running late, let's cut this short.) "Ok Dave, have a good day."
Dave - "Thanks Mark. Good luck."

And scene. Which leaves me wondering... Why am I being wished "Good luck"? Is this the new thing to say? Is it a California thing that I haven't noticed until now? Do I just look like I'm in need of luck? Honestly, I'm looking for an answer. Does this only happen to me? Is "Good luck" an appropriate way to end a conversation? Help a confused brotha' out.

-------

TANG!

-------

In probably the saddest, dorkiest bout of nostalgia you'll ever hear about, I spent nearly an hour browsing old NES games. I can even remember, in striking detail, the crappy midi songs from most of them. The saddest part is that there were some games I never finished and I actually feel bad that I never put in the time to complete them. (I guarantee that if you grew up playing NES, you'll spend at least 10 minutes browsing the games too, so don' t be so quick to judge). During this nerdy journey back to my childhood, I learned about a cover band called The NESkimos. I hope they sound like The Advantage, cuz their NES cover songs rule.

No comments: